Saturday, February 12, 2011

How to make Greengage Jam - Charlotte Style

STEP 1: Find yourself a greengage tree


Thankfully my sister has one laden with fruit! (Cheers Sister! X)


STEP 2: Get picking (a picking buddy always helps)



STEP 3: Taste the fruit as you go to make sure it is OK (my helper here is trying out some plums which I was also picking...)



STEP 4: Pick desired amount



STEP 5: Have a restorative cup of tea and consult preserving bible


This is another good opportunity to make sure that the fruit is indeed up to scratch.  (Yes, OK, and have a bit of chockie too...).

I personally usually tweak Sally's recipes just a bit.  I often find that I don't need to put in as much water as she says and I prefer to put less sugar in so you get more flavour of the fruit.


STEP 6: Prepare the greengages


I find some music helps with this (Today I was enjoying Madeleine Peyroux)


STEP 7: Bring to the boil and then simmer fruit (plus I thought I would muslin up some of the stones for some pectin assistance)



STEP 8: Add the sugar.  Even though I usually put in less than the recipe says I am always staggered by just how much goes in!


STEP 9: Stir until sugar dissolves and then bring back to the boil and bubble away until you get setting point (or as near as darn it!).  


STEP 10: Pour into sterilised jars! 


As you can see I have made rather a large batch... If anyone out there has any surplus pantry or garden produce they would like to trade for some jam please let me know!


No comments:

Post a Comment