Friday, March 25, 2011

Taking a walk in someone else's shoes

I didn't think this moment was far off.  After trying to get our shoes on for weeks, Seb comes trotting around the corner wearing my trusty (and yes, those that know me well - somewhat overworn) crocs.



It is so lovely watching him figure out what the world is about and how the everything works.

I hope that he continues to like to try on other people's shoes, especially the ones that aren't meant to fit.

I also hope that he holds onto that willingness to explore and learn out of his own motivation.  I feel I lost it myself sometime in later high school.  I think that there was so much pressure to do well and so little guidance to actually find out what you enjoy learning, perhaps have natural talent for, or given encouragement in areas that perhaps you weren't great at (I have never forgotten my year 8 art teacher looking over my shoulder at some sketching we were doing and exclaiming "Oh dear, art isn't really your thing is it").  With a but of luck maybe watching my little boy pick up lots of new tricks might encourage me to discover one or two of my own...

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness I can't believe your art teacher said that!! I'ts so sad that such a simple, thoughtless comment can completely kill any confidence and it stays with you... I'm going to have to drag you along to some life drawing classes one day if I can find a good one. Yay for your boy plodding around in your shoes too. He's a gorgeous thing. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bit like when Mum stated (when she witnessed) the main annual event I organise "it's not exactly the olympics"; every cloud sis... that non-olympic event has dam well paid for most of the rennos! I also hope that Seb continues to "try on other peoples' shoes".... x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The so titled "art" teacher was not privy to witness Target Cake; a work by Charlotte inspired by her husband and, his hobby.

    Strong aniseed overtones surround many multi-coloured, mini-sucrose units to display the artist's pure mastery....

    I was privileged to witness the work but, unfortunately, ate most of it x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quite possibly my worst work to date! :)

    ReplyDelete